Sesame Street Launches Videos to Help Children Cope With Trauma


I've been a school psychologist for many years now.  In my early years, I remember watching the news about Columbine and trying to figure out how I would help the students at my schools cope with their feelings when the violence made no sense to me. After all of these years, I continue to struggle with this dilemma. Although recent news has brought more of these unspeakable acts to our attention, I also realize that many children are struggling to deal with serious trauma in their own lives. Many of these children are quite young and have not had the opportunity to learn skills to help them cope. Enter Sesame Street.  Sesame Workshop, the program's nonprofit educational division, saw that children needed these strategies to help them deal with unexpected stressful events, such as divorce, abuse, and natural disasters.  The videos teach children how to express emotion and reduce the stress they feel.  They also come with a learning guide to help adults know how to respond and support children. To learn more about these videos, visit Sesame Street Videos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September is National Suicide Prevention Month

Teen Week - Planning for Your Future

Random Acts of Kindness Week is February 11-17, 2024