Advice for the Parents of Middle Schoolers

Now that my first-born child is finishing up middle school, I can hardly remember how difficult his toddler years were.  Although he was a pretty easy-going little guy, those years were still challenging as a new mom.  Since he was my first born (I still call him my "trial and error baby"), I tried to learn as much as I could ahead of each stage.  When we got to middle school, I realized there were many challenges, really big ones, I had not anticipated.  According to this article from the Arizona State University Department of Psychology, many mothers feel the same way.  The article reviews a recent study suggesting that the middle school years are actually the most difficult stage for mothers. To learn more about that study, visit https://psychology.clas.asu.edu/content/moms-you-think-babies-are-tough-wait-until-middle-school

Fortunately, many parents have forged the way for us and have wonderful advice to share.  I particularly like this article recently published by the Washington Post.  The author, a licensed clinical and school counselor, has a top 10 list of social-emotional skills for middle schoolers and what parents can do to foster those skills.  To learn more about that list, visit https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/parenting/wp/2016/02/29/top-10-skills-middle-school-students-need-to-thrive-and-how-parents-can-help/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September is National Suicide Prevention Month

Random Acts of Kindness Week is February 11-17, 2024

Teen Week - Planning for Your Future