Help! I Don't Know How To Do My Child's Math Homework!

By Alison Sharp


Does this sound familiar?  I don't know about you, but I can tell you that my last formal math class was several years (ahem...decades) ago.  Even as someone who is starting her sixth year working for the school system, I often feel that way.  Things are taught quite a bit differently from when I was in school.  Don't panic! There is help out there...

Khan Academy is a wonderful free online learning site.  It has numerous lessons that are aligned with common core, and is especially good for when you don't know how to help your child with his or her math homework.  So, if I have a third grade student, and don't know how to help him with his homework, I could click on third grade, then on division, and then on whatever aspect he is learning.  There are lots of explanations and then practice items with immediate feedback.  There is even an "I need a hint" button to click.  There are other subject areas as well like science, arts, and humanities, and computing!

Parents can set up their own account and then add their kids, if they want.  Each kid can choose an avatar, and unlock increasingly cuter ones by completing academic activities and practice.  You don't need to log in to access the lessons on the site though.  If you want to check it out, visit their website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September is National Suicide Prevention Month

Random Acts of Kindness Week is February 11-17, 2024

Teen Week - Planning for Your Future